Landscaping is such an important part of the look of your home because it creates a first impression for visitors. For this reason, good landscaping is never more important than when you're selling your home. Having attractive landscaping won't only look good to potential buyers; it can actually add value to your home. If you're selling your home or are thinking of selling it, you might be wondering what your landscaping should look like to attract buyers. Use this guide to find out 5 ways you can increase your home's value with landscaping.
1. Start by fixing your hardscapes. Hardscapes refer to the hard materials that are built into your landscape, such as walkways and fences. You'll want to make sure all hardscapes are level and aren't being uprooted. Not only are uprooted, uneven sidewalks and walkways unsightly, they pose a potential danger that can turn potential buyers away.
2. Hide anything unsightly with screening plants. The goal of landscaping is to draw people's attention to your home, which can be difficult to do if there's anything unsightly in the way. Screening plants, such as bamboo, hedges, and evergreens are great ways to hide anything unsightly while also making your house and landscaping look good.
3. Create a focal point with a lawn area. Creating attractive landscaping doesn't mean you have to go crazy. Creating a focal point with just a few different plants and some mulch can be enough to catch people's eye and please it. Having just a few plants is inviting enough to be pleasing, but not too much to intimidate potential buyers.
4. Remove plants where necessary. When you're designing your landscape, you might think adding plants is always the answer, but sometimes taking plants away can make your landscape more attractive. Dying plants that will require a lot of maintenance should be removed. Shrubs and bushes that encroach on the sidewalk or are too big should also be removed. To keep your home looking up-to-date, remove any flowers and plants that are out of style.
5. Let your backyard landscape have universal appeal. If you've lived in your home for a while, chances are you have a lot of personal items in your backyard that don't necessarily appeal to everyone, like a swing set. The more universal appeal your landscapes have, the more appealing they will be to potential buyers.
Considering how important landscaping is to the resale value of your home, you'll want to take your time and plan ahead to make sure your landscaping is ready. For more information, contact a company like Glynn Young's Landscaping & Nursery Center.